More than 1.3 million people have signed a petition urging the British government to call off President Donald Trump’s state visit to the UK, this came as a response to his recent immigration measures.
Downing Street, however, said Prime Minister Theresa May was looking forward to the visit.
Mr Trump’s executive order on immigration has caused anger worldwide while many people took to the street carrying placards to protest
The Protests to the order took place yesterday in London, Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, York, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Swansea and other UK cities.

The Foreign Office said on Sunday the clampdown should not affect UK nationals travelling to the U.S., even if they had shared nationality with one of the countries on which restrictions have been placed.
However,  US embassy in London has issued a statement telling any citizens of the seven countries in question and also those holding dual nationality not to apply for a visa for the time being.
The petition is now the second-most popular on the government’s website, which was set up in July 2015.
Downing Street said on Monday that Mrs May “extended an invitation on behalf of the Queen – and she was very happy to do so.
“The USA is one of this country’s closest allies, and we look forward to hosting the president later this year.”
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn also urged the postponement of the visit.
“Donald Trump should not be welcomed to Britain while he abuses our shared values with his shameful Muslim ban and attacks on refugees’ and women’s rights,” the Labour leader said.
State visits are grand occasions requiring an invitation from the Queen, and are distinct from regular visits by heads of state. The Queen usually receives one or two heads of state a year.
When the petition passed the million mark, it was found that about 30,000 came from outside the U.K.
It is now second only to last year’s petition signed by more than four million people calling for a fresh referendum on whether to leave the European Union.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the visit should not happen while the executive order was in place.

 

Advertisements